P3 (Prepared, Protected, emPowered) is an interactive smartphone app for HIV-uninfected young men who have sex with men (YMSM) and young transgender women who have sex with men (YTWSM) that utilizes social networking and game-based mechanics to improve PrEP adherence and persistence in PrEP care. Built on a successful, evidence-based platform designed and tested by the collaborating technology partner, Ayogo, P3 is flexible and responsive to changes in technology. In addition, a second intervention arm, P3+, includes the delivery of text-based adherence counseling delivered through the app. Click here to read more about P3.
P3 will conduct field-testing of P3 and P3+ with YMSM/YTWSM who have recently initiated or are non-adherent to PrEP. Using an iterative process of feedback and continuing quality improvement, final app refinements and enhancements will be made to ensure full technological functionality prior to the RCT.
Field testing is currently open in the Bronx and Houston, will open soon in Philadelphia, and will recruit a total of 15-24 participants.
P3 is anticipated to launch its randomized controlled trial in January 2018, which will enroll up to 240 YMSM across six sites:
- PRISM Health in Atlanta, GA
- The Fenway Institute in Boston, MA
- The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore (CHAM) in the Bronx, NY
- The Adolescent and Young Adult Research (AYAR) at the CORE Center in Chicago, IL
- Texas Children’s Hospital Retrovirology Clinic/Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in Philadelphia, PA
A screenshot from the P3 app