The YAC (Youth Advisory Council) is a structured forum for solicitation of input regarding research priorities, protocol vetting, study implantation and discussion of research challenges for youths directly impacted by iTech studies. YAC meetings are also used as an opportunity for education, training and discussion of results and strategies for dissemination of research findings. YAC meetings are held once a month.
5 Takeaways from the February 2019 YAC Meeting
- Different social media platforms are used for different information: Facebook is for family, Instagram is for looking cute, Twitter is for speaking your mind, and Snapchat is uncensored
- Youth are not very concerned about sharing information for research, because of anonymity and protections in place to prevent data breaches
- Youth are more comfortable answering questions like “Have you been tested?” and “Do you know your status?” than answering “What is your status?”
- In order to feel comfortable answering “What is your status?” youth need to know the person who is asking and how that information will be used and protected
- Seeing that you can withdraw at any time without reason in the consent makes youth feel more comfortable sharing information for research