Mobile-Based Application to Increase Uptake of HIV Testing, Detection of New HIV Infections, and Linkage to Care and Prevention Services by Young Men who have Sex with Men
MyChoices is an intervention development and feasibility and acceptability study of MyChoices, a theory-driven mobile app to increase HIV testing and PrEP uptake by young men who have sex with men (YMSM), ages 15-24. MyChoices app will be refined in theater testing and an open technical pilot, and will then the acceptability and feasibility of this integrated app will be evaluated in a pilot randomized controlled trial (RCT) among YMSM at risk for HIV acquisition in the US.
Aim 1: single study visit (focus group) for theater testing
Aim 2: 2 months
Aim 3: 6 months
Aim 1: Up to 40 YMSM
Aim 2: Up to 15 YMSM across two iTech SRVs
Aim 3: 60 YMSM across four iTech SRVs
- Between 15 and 24 years of age
- Assigned male sex at birth and male-identified
- Self-report being HIV uninfected or HIV status-unknown at screening
- Self-report having not had an HIV test in the past 3 months (for Aims 2 and 3 only)
- Self-report not currently taking PrEP (for Aims 2 and 3 only)
- Participants ages 15-18: self-report at least one episode of anal intercourse with a male or trans female partner during the last 6 months
- Participants ages 19-24: self-report evidence of high risk for acquiring HIV infection including at least one of the following:
- At least one episode of condomless anal intercourse with an HIV-infected or unknown HIV status male or trans female partner during the last 6 months; or
- Anal intercourse with 2 or more male or trans female partners during the last 6 months; or
- Exchange of money, gifts, shelter, or drugs for anal sex with a male or trans female partner during the last 6 months; or
- Sex with a male or trans female partner and has an STI during the last 6 months
- Able to understand, read, and speak English
- Owns or leases a phone wiht Android platform (for Aims 2 and 3) or iOS platform (Aim 3 only), and has an active data plan
- To refine a mobile phone app, “MyChoices”, to promote HIV/STI testing and PrEP uptake among YMSM by conducting theater testing with up to 20 YMSM. Data will be used to make final app refinements.
- To conduct a technical pilot with up to 15 YMSM to optimize MyChoices app functionality, technical performance, and user satisfaction. Data will be used to finalize the pilot study methods, the mobile app functionalities, and measures for the pilot trial (Aim 3).
- To conduct a pilot randomized controlled trial (RCT) with up to 60 YMSM to evaluate the feasibility and acceptability of MyChoices to increase HIV/STI testing and PrEP uptake among YMSM. Every 3 months, participants will complete a brief quantitative assessment (in person at baseline and online at follow-up) and app usage patterns will be assessed. The primary outcomes will be acceptability (mean score on the System Usability Scale) and feasibility (participants utilizing the app at least once during follow-up) of the app.